Valkyrie Knights

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome mortal, to the realm of the great Valkyrie Knights! You will find amongst our ranks only the finest adventurers ever to set foot on Cradle. Stay a while, and bask in our glory.

5 posters

Private Teamspeak server

Poll

Would you be interested in a Teamspeak server?

[ 10 ]
    Private Teamspeak server Bar_left100%Private Teamspeak server Bar_right [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Private Teamspeak server Bar_left0%Private Teamspeak server Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 10
    Schwarze
    Schwarze

Private Teamspeak server Empty Private Teamspeak server

Post  Schwarze Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:31 pm

So a while ago I did a quick search on Teamspeak but I was only presented with the option to pay for a host. However, now, a classmate explained that as long as you host on your own it won't cost a dime, aside from ISP service.
    Since I currently have such a server (running Minecraft), I'd be able to set up a Teamspeak service.
    For those who don't know, Teamspeak is a VoIP program, so you can voice chat in channels and stuffs. It's pretty light, and doesn't ask too much of your PC, especially compared to Skype. My Agency (guild) in Global Agenda used TS extensively for Strike Force coordination and so far it's proven to be most reliable.
    I'd think that for PvP teams in Spiral Knights, most notably Guild Lockdown, it'd allow some pretty decent coordination. Standard clockworks could also benefit from it. Like my SCIENCE!

For the record, you don't need a microphone to use the system. If you don't, you can still log in and hear those who do, so if there's ever a 'party leader' you can tune in.

So then, if I were to set up this service, who would actually use it?
    If I don't get a significant response then I probably won't even be bothered to try.

If I do, however, I just need to figure out my port forwarding on Linux and then set it up. Shouldn't be too hard, but it'd have to be in a week or two while I get through my current load of college assignments.
    I don't think lag should be an issue.

Last edited by Schwarze on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
    Whitelancer
    Whitelancer
    Admin

Private Teamspeak server Empty Re: Private Teamspeak server

Post  Whitelancer Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Genius!
    We can finally hear eachothers lovely voices!
    Schwarze
    Schwarze

Post  Schwarze Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:05 pm

So that's one Smile
    Regarding authorisations, I think I'll go with relative moderator power to VK officers (standard kick/move stuff) and perhaps a few trusted people, while keeping full administrative control for myself.
    I'm thinking a few general channels;
    General
    PvE
    PvP
    Officer
    ect
    As needed really. Don't want everyone talking over each other.
    ScreamingNutz
    ScreamingNutz

Post  ScreamingNutz Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 pm

This sounds cool. I'd use it Wink
    Schwarze
    Schwarze

Post  Schwarze Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:14 am

Ten votes Yes and I'll make it a duty of mine to set it up.
    PelicanPatrol
    PelicanPatrol

Post  PelicanPatrol Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:07 pm

What about Ventrilo? I'm not saying it's better than TeamSpeak, I never even tried that program. I'm just a bit familiar with it, that's all.
    Also, here's a list of alternative voice-chat software, in case TeamSpeak doesn't work out:

http://alternativeto.net/software/teamspeak/

Great idea btw, been missing voice chat since leaving Steam.
    Schwarze
    Schwarze

Post  Schwarze Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Well for the most part I chose Teamspeak over, say, Ventrilo, Mumble or any other program because I'm familiar with it.
    I have never used Vent or Mumble, so in my eyes Teamspeak is good enough for anything we'll need.
    However, if a certain number of people ask for a specific program, I might opt into looking up said program and setting it up in Teamspeak's stead.
    Lastly, since I'm gonna be the admin for this system, I already know a tad about how to work it, which is beneficial.
    Which isn't to say that I had any control last time I used it, I was just a scrub. Still, I think I'd know my way around it.

-- Edit --

As to TS's fancy features... it has a subtle channel overlay for games, push-to-talk, multiple channels with varying authorisations, a sound dimmer when someone else is talking (on Vista/7 I think), and yeah. It's pretty quick, pretty compact and does the job without wasting too much time on frivolous details.
    Aarcanewizard
    Aarcanewizard
    Admin

Private Teamspeak server Empty RW

Post  Aarcanewizard Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:29 am

Anyone that runs the program called Roger wilco can host or join a public/private Chanel with multiple rooms, no extra software required... no port opening, no guesswork no nuthin... I use it today to speak to my brothers. I used it with my squad when I was with SUB7 flight wing in a different game and it's always worked. I even used it with no problems when I was using a dial up connection. When you run the program you are given the choice to either join a Chanel or host a Chanel.

Aarcane

(The trick is to use the older version that was so simple that even an old man couldn't mess it up.)
    Schwarze
    Schwarze

Post  Schwarze Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 am

I think I took a look at that once. Not sure. Maybe I just decided it was too basic, and the absence of certain settings and options I thought got in the way when it came to accommodating a full guild and the like.
    --
    In other news, I've finally mastered port forwarding so I might set up a temporary TS with access trough my external IP.
    Afterwards I'd have to look into DNS for ease of use.
    Schwarze
    Schwarze

Post  Schwarze Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Quick update: Been busy with schoolwork so I don't know when I'll get to it. From a brief skim of the subject I think setting up a static IP on ubuntu is a tad more complex than on WinXP.
    ScreamingNutz
    ScreamingNutz

Post  ScreamingNutz Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:53 am

If this doesn't work, I'll try to figure out a mumble server if you want. I use mumble all the time with my friends in Runs With Scissors so I know the basics of it.
    ScreamingNutz
    ScreamingNutz

Post  ScreamingNutz Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:56 am

Feature wise towards mumble: it's simple as f***, overlay (optional), push to talk/voice activation, text chat area w/Text-to-speech, one time entry and done, can easily be monitored, and the file is only like 20mb. There is also an app for smart phone users who want to keep in touch.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am